EXT DECK MOUNTAIN HOME - DAY
Handsome stone and timber outside Wilson, WY.
KATE and CEDRIC, per previous. Cedric Foglost, Kate laptop.
FAINT WESTERN MEADOWLARK SONG.
CEDRIC: When am I going to meet Hunter?
KATE: Well, Chloe's graduation for sure. And I'd be very surprised if he weren't at her birthday. Which reminds she's at Hunter's through the rest of her summer. I think they're off on a horseback ride today with his new girlfriend.
CEDRIC: What do we know about her?
KATE: History professor at New Mexico State. I thought to check the department website for her picture but decided to wait for whatever Chloe sends.
CEDRIC: Any word, by the way, on trending regarding school?
KATE: No, other than leaning toward an environmental sciences major.
CEDRIC: I imagine John and Jan are hoping not so far from home.
KATE: Hoping surfing is a factor. Santa Barbara and Santa Cruz both have strong programs. But I know they would both quickly and mostly easily embrace otherwise.
KATE'S PHONE RINGTONES THWACK OF CLUB STRIKING GOLF BALL, followed by a MAN BELLOWING "FORE."
Cedric smiles, Kate picks up.
KATE: Are your ears burning?
(Kate's expression shifts to profound surprise at what she is hearing.)
I'm here. Jesus, John.
(Cedric, marks page, turns attention to Jan.)
Do we have a middle name?
Small world getting smaller. Picture yet?
Well send when you do. This sure shakes the family tree.
He's right here. We're waiting for our ride to _______.
I'll tell him then suggest he read Honda Knot after he finishes Foglost. Interesting timing, by the way re Tom Walker's arrival.
With bated breath.
Love you too, Johnny.
(She sets phone, looks at Cedric.)
CEDRIC: Bated breath indeed.
KATE: Big news.
CEDRIC: I get that.
KATE: You remember our brief conversation about what we know - knew, rather - about Hunter's father.
KATE: Big news.
CEDRIC: I get that.
KATE: You remember our brief conversation about what we know - knew, rather - about Hunter's father.
CEDRIC: Hmm. Let me refresh. Cattle ranch hand who met Hunter's mother, Olivia, at an Elvis show in Reno. Passing through on his way to Mexico?
KATE: Yes.
CEDRIC: Meeting leads to a drive around Lake Tahoe that leads to an overnight in Carson City that leads to Hunter. Never heard from again and Tom Walker from Texas not being much to go on as far as tracking him down. To round it off somewhat.
KATE: That's well rounded off.
CEDRIC: What's this about Honda Knot?
KATE: Honda Knot is in Hunter's short stories. Features a ranch hand named Cade Satterwhite. Based on Hunter's extrapolation of what he knows - knew - about Tom Walker from Texas.
CEDRIC: I'll read it.
KATE: He arrived at Hunter's yesterday, he's on the horse ride today. His middle name is Travis. He was born and raised in Bandera, Texas.
CEDRIC (BEAT): Hmm.
KATE: Hmm?
CEDRIC: I met a Tom Walker from Bandera, Texas.
KATE: Small world getting smaller.
CEDRIC: I'd guess there have been, are and will be a few of those, too.
KATE: I' would too. Where and when did you meet your Tom Walker from Bandera, Texas?
CEDRIC (TWO BEATS): Vietnam almost sixty years ago.
KATE: Middle name Travis already has John and Jan looking at the street view of Tom and Wanda Walker's house in Laramie.
CEDRIC: Really?
KATE: Wouldn't middle name Travis help regarding looking up military records? If you're curios.
CEDRIC: I am. It would.
KATE: I could email Barbara to ask Hunter to ask Tom Walker if he remembers Warrant Officer Cedric Turner. If you think your Tom Walker would remember.
CEDRIC: My Tom Walker, if his memory is intact, would.
KATE: Shall I inquire?
Cedric ponders, nods.
KATE (CONT.) Are the particulars of your meeting something you would share with me?
Cedric nods.
HONK HONK HONK.
CEDRIC: On the way?
KATE: Bated breath.
They leave into house out of view.
No comments:
Post a Comment